Tuesday, February 3, 2009

New York Comic Con, Me and the WATCHMEN!

New York Comic Con is coming up this weekend, and for the first time ever, my clothing / art company, ZEROFRIENDS, will be there slanging goods on the cold-as-Christian-Bale east coast. And what better way to celebrate than offer you New Yorkians a little exclusive???
In so many ways, this recent painting that i did is perfect for a New York Comic Con exclusive limited fine art print. So check out the press release below:





Zerofriends & Alex Pardee are proud to announce the Exclusive New York Comic Con release of Alex Pardee's new, never before seen print, inspired by his love for Alan Moore's "WATCHMEN" graphic novel.

"The Secondmen" Giclee Fine Art Print
By Alex Pardee
17" x 22"
Printed with archival inks on Velvet Fine Art Paper.
Limited Edition of 50.
Hand signed and numbered by Alex Pardee
Cost: $80.00
Available Exclusively at the Zerofriends / Snafu-Comics Booth # 1709 only at the New York Comic Con Feb 6th to 8th @ Jacob Javits Center, NYC

For more info on the NY Comic Con, CLICK HERE.

And here are are some words from Alex regarding his long-standing love for the Watchmen comics:
"In addition to a lot of movies, my Dad introduced me to Graphic Novels shortly after i got out of the hospital when I was 15. About the same time as I discovered THE MAXX, my dad got me Frank Miller's "The Dark Knight", which then led me to The Killing Joke, A Death In the Family, Hard Boiled, Frank Millers Daredevil, and Alan Moore's WATCHMEN. With the exception of The MAXX, Watchmen felt the most real, despite the whole particle teleportation to Mars thing, and the airships. Maybe it was because most of the Minutemen didnt even have powers, they just WANTED to be superheroes, and the world hated them. Or maybe it was because Silk Spectre fell out of love with Manhattan because he was a workaholic, or because Rorshach saw dead dogs when he looked at an ink blot, but never really told anyone what he felt, or maybe it was the fear and the desperation of the guy who was scared of the Black Freighter, and where else can someone like the Comedian be a rapist AND a hero?
Regardless, I was unknowingly obsessed with it back then, as most of the superheroes i drew at that time were just bunk combinations of those characters.

Looking back now, a lot of things from Watchmen stuck with me, i always said my first tattoo was going to be a Rorshach test. I have always looked at owls as lonely but heroic animals. I BELIEVED that when you teleported, you vomitted, so much so that I called bullshit on Seth Brundle in The Fly. I never saw anything wrong with Dr Manhattans work ethic and his complete disregard for the rest of the world and his relationships. I subconsciously adapted his work ethic, which is probably a bad thing. I kept sugar cubes in my pocket when i worked at the credit card processing company in sacramento. I liked the 12 monkey's movie marketing because it reminded me of "who watches the watchmen?" and I even repeatedly dreamt of going to Mars for a day. 
In fact, i still do"
Detail of the print: