Sunday, February 22, 2015

TOURING THROUGH THE MARROW RE-CAP

Almost 5 years ago, I stopped writer/director Adam Green in the hallway of a Fangoria Convention in LA after he was exiting a panel discussion where he had previewed his then-new film "HATCHET 2". I was a huge fan of his previous films and, even earlier than that, a "fan commentary" track that I had stumbled upon for Friday The 13th Part 4 that he had done with Joe Lynch (who is another ridiculously cool writer/director). After I stopped him, as I had genuinely wanted to just say hello, I nervously did just that, introduced myself, and out of instinct I guess, I handed him a little art book that I had made and said something along the lines of "thank you for the inspiration, here's something I made". That little art book that I handed him was called "Digging Up The Marrow."

Last Thursday, in Berkeley, California, Adam Green and I got to show the very first public screening of "Digging Up The Marrow", the film that we have made inspired by that little book that I handed him 5 years ago. That was, in short, fucking COOL. 



Over the following week, leading up to this past Friday, Adam & I (and Zerofriends' own Proak the Fire Hydrant) got to travel across the country, continuing to show our film to new audiences in Boston, New York City, Austin and Los Angeles. That was also, in short, fucking COOL PART 2.

During what felt like the longest and shortest week I have ever had showcasing our monster movie, Adam and I also brought along merchandise, an art display that showcased some of the design work on the film, one of the actual monsters from the film (by the magical Greg Aronowitz), and some answers to some questions regarding the long and amazing process of making a film with about 20 great friends, including my new friend, the one, the only, the impeccably best appropriate hugger ever…. William Dekker himself…RAY WISE!!!

Even though we not-so-bravely fought against blizzards, cancelled flights, cancelled trains, too much luggage, snow-blind driving and basically surviving through a potentially horrific reality-show version of "Planes, Trains & Automobiles", the tour went perfectly. Every crowd was great. Every theater manager was great. Every questionably drunk cab driver was great. And every hotel that we didn't have time to sleep in was great! 

If you weren't able to make one of the tour-screenings, "DIGGING UP THE MARROW" is available now on iTunes and all VOD formats (Hulu, Xbox, Playstation, VuDu, Xfinity, etc) in the United States. It will be released in other countries soon! 

If you haven't seen anything about the film, I would suggest going into it blindly, but if you must, here is the trailer for the film:



Thank you to anyone and everyone who bought tickets to the screenings and picked up some MARROW Merchandise along the road, as that was pretty much how we paid to go on the tour! It turns out we have a small handful of "Marrow" exclusive signed tour prints (along with some Marrow Doppelgängers and the original Marrow Booklet that I handed Adam years ago) leftover from the tour and they are now for sale here on ZEROFRIENDS ( and Adam Green has the Marrow TOUR SHIRTS for sale and BluRay pre-order HERE) for a limited time.

Below are a few photos from the tour (there's a BUNCH more on my Facebook page), and although there were a ton of great questions asked during the Q & A sessions (including a super-fun Q&A hosted by AINTITCOOL's Harry Knowles at the Alamo Drafthouse), the one question that Adam and I keep asking OURSELVES is….HOW AWESOME DOES THIS FEEL TO MAKE A MONSTER MOVIE TOGETHER?! In short, it feels REALLY fucking cool!

Thank you everyone. Expect more journeys into The Marrow in the future. We loved it down there. And thank you to Paul Bustamante for a lot of these photos and the photos on my Facebook page.